Old 26-09-2014, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default That old chestnut .. and spiders

"Spider" wrote

Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to deter the
spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has changed, should
I be using sweet chestnuts instead? Does anyone here know?

We seem to be plagued with Pholcus spiders which make lots of messy web and
in hard-to-reach places. When they're tiny, they're almost impossible to
see then, suddenly, they're everwhere I look.

I know chestnut oil based sprays are on the market, but would prefer to use
the free fruit if possible. Well, I do come from Yorkshire! ;~).

Every year my wife puts conkers in the corners of every room to deter
spiders. I must admit I haven't seen one of those large spiders in the house
for a long time but I did see a small one quite close to the conkers
yesterday but I won't tell the boss.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.