Old 28-09-2014, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Simon T Simon T is offline

Default Rose looks "terrible"

"Spider" wrote in message ...

The rose needs cutting back by at least 2/3rds, removing not just top
growth but all crossing and spindly growth, too. If the OP can cut to
outward facing buds (to generate an open goblet-shaped bush), then that's a
boon. He can always cut to outward-facing shoots in Spring when that
growth is more obvious, thus aiding his understanding of that process.

Many thanks to everyone for all the replies.

Having taken everyones comments on board, I think I'll probably leave it
where it is and just cut it back like you say and give it some fertiliser or
mulch in the spring.

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor