Old 29-09-2014, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Share your veg gardening space?

On 29/09/2014 6:38 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Wondering if others have something like the following in their communities:

Allow would-be gardeners who live in apartments or otherwise have no ground,
to grow crops in your garden in exchange for ? a share of produce? other consideration?
Of course taking care to know who they are and make entry arrangements.

ISTR there used to be something like that here; I'm trying to track it down, and
if I don't find, start something.

There is certainly a move to do that in the UK. The wonderful Hugh
Fearnley-Whittingstall of River Cottage fame started it off over there
(in current times) and from reports I've read online, it seems to be
taking off in the UK within the private world. Of course the UK has had
the local government run Allotments for many, many decades.

The (modern day) UK scheme is called Landshare and here are a few links
in case you are interested:
http://www.landshare.net/
http://www.farmgarden.org.uk/home/lo...haring-schemes

I'm increasingly dubious about veg gardening, both because of water co$t probably
increasing with CA drought, and because we don't really consume enough to bother.

What about making yourself a couple of wicking beds to grow the things
that are best picked straight from the garden just before cooking/serving?

Wicking beds seem to be all the rage here in Australia where we share
similar water concerns to California. I don't have one or intend to
start one since we supply our own water and don't have to pay any
municipal charges for its use.