Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david david is offline

Default Apple trees. Manure?

On 02/10/2014 14:23, mark wrote:
I have some small but established apple trees. The soil they are in is weak
and more sandy than anything.

Production is disappointing and not anywhere like that of similar sized
trees that I've seen.

Would a mulch of manure around each tree help? Is this a good time to do it?

I have read on the web not to add manure because it'll not encourage the
roots to go on the search for food. I can see the logic of this for new
trees but mine are a few years old.

Any views?

mark

I'd be inclined to spread 3 or 4 inches of old compost or peat around
the tree, a couple of feet out from the trunk and then fork it in gently