Old 03-10-2014, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Shrubs half dead

On 02/10/2014 20:50, Simon T wrote:
OK, got another couple of questions for you.

About 5 years ago I planted a couple of little bushes/shrubs in one of
my borders.

I forget what sort they were, but the first one, although it was a slow
grower, seems to have not grown at all. Looks rather unhealthy and has
dead bits on.

I did pull back the gravel and put a bit of compost round the roots
earlier this year, but hasn't done much good. Heres a pic of the first...

http://tinyurl.com/l2syret

The second bush/shrub does seem to have grown. But looks rather sparse
and also has dead bits on it.

http://tinyurl.com/mmtok8t

I know its getting into autumn, but they don't look much better in the
summer.

Clearly they're not very happy, anything I can do to try and improve
their look?

Thanks in advance!

A lot of shrubs are doomed from the start if the root system isn't
right. I always soak them overnight and tease the roots but, if the root
ball is too dense, they will always be rather feeble specimens. I have
learnt not to trust garden centres in this respect. You're better off
buying from a market stall where the turnover is high.