Old 05-10-2014, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Shrubs half dead

On 05/10/2014 12:40, David wrote:
Teasing the roots isn't always easy IME. I've had shrubs where cutting
slits in the root ball was the only option.
My local GC has just emptied all unsold seed packets into a dustbin
and marked them down to 50p. Now that they're all jumbled up, they
won't sell any. I know because they do it every year!

Ray is opposed to teasing out roots in general, as he thinks people
often do more harm than good. But sometimes, if you get something really
compacted, it's necessary but only in the gentlest way and with no
forcing.

I never tease out the roots, I use a sharp knife and slice down the
length of the root ball on 3 sides.
The new roots then grow away from the old clump.
David @ a rain free side of Swansea Bay

I've rarely had the courage to do that, but I did drill out the centre
of a camellia root ball which was absolutely rock solid. Much to my
surprise it gave it a new lease of life, but I'm still loath to do
anything much to a newly purchased plant