Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Calochortus unobtanium

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
"David" wrote ..

The main one I missed was Calochortus albus, but why are they so
unobtainable in Europe? Only 3-4 seem to be available at all,
and I did a Web search for Calochortus albus in both the UK and
Netherlands. But there are quite a few, and most are very nice
bulbs for dry locations.

That's a bulb I've never come across before.
Look interesting

Certainly does, just what I need for my S. facing sandy front garden.

It's very pretty, in a delicate way (like harebells). You can
get both C. superbus and C. venustus from de Jager, as well as
a yellow one and a couple of hybrids. But C. albus doesn't seem
to be sold in Europe, nor are most of the others. One Dutch
company does have a hybrid C. albus, but that is all.

And, yes, I saw them in the wild when walking in California :-)

Trieleia Queen Fabiola isn't far off the wild form, and is much
cheaper. That's worth looking at, too. Camassia goes off much
like daffodils, and I am no great fan of Eremeus. Erythronium
might be worth a go. All of those come from the same terrain,
and I saw all of them there.

Thanks Nick, when I get back from Bletchley Park tonight I'll do some
searching. Already have an Erythronium but it's suffered due to the taking
down of a large tree a few years ago, not that keen on Camassia, don't know
why.
I notice R V Rogers have some although not the one you are after...
http://www.rvroger.co.uk/index.php?linksource=frontpage
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.