Old 08-10-2014, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
IGot2P[_3_] IGot2P[_3_] is offline

Default Curing sweet potatoes?

This year we planted sweet potatoes in our garden in SE Iowa. Had a bit
of frost a couple of nights ago so I dug them today and Googled on how
to store them. To my surprise they need to be cured before storing.

Most of the instructions that I found said that they should first be
kept in an area of 80 to 90 degrees F with approximately 80 to 90
percent humidity for 7 to 10 days. I can no doubt use a small half bath
in our shop for the area and I could keep it at 80 to 90 degrees F with
a small space heater but the humidity would be only around 55 percent.
OTOH, I could put a small humidifier in the area and no space heater to
get the humidity up to around 85 percent but the temperature would only
be around 65 degrees F.

I definitely do NOT want to put both the space heater and the humidifier
in this small 4' by 6' area at the same time so which is more important
heat or humidity?

Maybe the space heater and a bucket of water????

Thanks for reading my looooong first post.

Don