Old 08-10-2014, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Calochortus unobtanium

On 08/10/2014 15:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:

No Calochortus albus, Nick, but have you seen RV Roger's range of
Calochortus?

http://www.rvroger.co.uk/index.php?l...arch&x=0 &y=0

Yes, though not on that site. That is more-or-less the standard one
(de Jager has "Burgundy" instead of "Cupido", but is otherwise the
same).

I don't know how many of them would grow outside in the UK, but I
suspect that many would on a raised bed or large pot of extremely
well-drained soil. There are apparently others that can take clay
meadows. And many of them are VERY attractive!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calochortus

Oooh! They're gorgeous! Doubt I'd be able to grow them on my heavy
clay soil but I dream of an alpine cold frame (mainly to keep them dry),
and that would give me the impetus to try. You're right, though:
they're not seen for sale very often.

Apparently, some might handle it. They are reputed to be tricky,
which is probably why they aren't available, but a lot of such
plants are quite happy under some conditions. I discovered that
Cyclamen coum loves heavy rain shadow by accident!

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pb...rowCalochortus

At best, they would be risky, but success would definitely pay that
back!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Just had a quick peep at that link (thanks for that), but will read it
in earnest tomorrow. It's never going to be easy, but might be worth a
try if I can find plants to experiment on. If only they were as easy as
Cyclamen coum! I haven't tried them in a rain shadow yet, so that's one
to try. It's time I tried them from seed, as I have with C.hederifolium
with great success. I love them to bits! One can't have too many:~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London