Old 09-10-2014, 12:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nelly W[_2_] Nelly W[_2_] is offline

Default Kitten eating fungi

On 9/25/2014 1:32 PM, Desert Dweller wrote:
With all the rain we've been having, some meaty looking
fungi came up under some trees. We usually only have
toad stools.

A kitten was licking and chewing on some with gusto. When
I knocked it away several times it kept going back for
more. It hasn't gotten sick or died yet.

I'm enclosing a link, hopefully someone can identify what
kind of fungi it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1vjguky1s...U3Me0o-za?dl=0

Would've been better to ask over at alt.nature.mushrooms. Looks like a
Clitocybe to me, and while I'm not at all well versed in the genus this
doesn't especially look like one of the species I happen to remember as
being edible. The mushrooms aren't nearly as strange as the behavior is.

I've heard of cats eating some pretty unconventional things before, but
not mushrooms. Possibly the cat has some nutritional deficit?