Old 10-10-2014, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Fruit tree madness

Fran Farmer wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

I am very concerned about my 'Santa Barbara' peach tree. It requires
about 300 hours of winter chill (hours of temperatures at or below 45F
from the beginning of November to the end of March). Living somewhat
inland with the Santa Monica Mountains between me and Malibu, the
average winter chill in my garden was been over 350 hours over the 12
years from the winter of 2001-2002 through the winter of 2012-2013. The
winter of 2013-2014, however, provided less than 130 hours. I got only
three peaches this year, and the tree was quite late in leafing out.

Many years ago, I heard of someone who was trying to grow somethign in
an area where it supposedly wouldn't grow because it didn't get enough
winter chilling. The solution for that gardener was to fill large
plastic ice cream tubs with water once frozen to turn the ice outonto
the roots.

I can't for the life of me now remember who the story involved, where
they lived or what they were trying to grow but the memory of the
routine has stuck with me. Sounds labour intensive to me and I have no
idea if it would work of not. I'd have thought the chill would have
been needed around the foliage area, but who knows. Anyone?

If you need your roots iced I can hook you up with my ex wife. heheh