Old 11-10-2014, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default Fruit tree madness

On Thursday, October 9, 2014 10:06:03 PM UTC-7, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 10/10/2014 11:45 AM, David E. Ross wrote:

I am very concerned about my 'Santa Barbara' peach tree. It requires

about 300 hours of winter chill (hours of temperatures at or below 45F

from the beginning of November to the end of March). Living somewhat

inland with the Santa Monica Mountains between me and Malibu, the

average winter chill in my garden was been over 350 hours over the 12

years from the winter of 2001-2002 through the winter of 2012-2013. The

winter of 2013-2014, however, provided less than 130 hours. I got only

three peaches this year, and the tree was quite late in leafing out.

Many years ago, I heard of someone who was trying to grow somethign in

an area where it supposedly wouldn't grow because it didn't get enough

winter chilling. The solution for that gardener was to fill large

plastic ice cream tubs with water once frozen to turn the ice outonto

the roots.

I can't for the life of me now remember who the story involved, where

they lived or what they were trying to grow but the memory of the

routine has stuck with me. Sounds labour intensive to me and I have no

idea if it would work of not. I'd have thought the chill would have

been needed around the foliage area, but who knows. Anyone?

I've heard that one too. Now you've got me wondering whether it IS for the roots or the foliage. Sigh! One more thing to look up...

Speaking of winter chill, after many decades of yearning to plant blueberries, I learned some years ago that theew have beee developed several varieties that can manage with the winter "chill" available here. I rushed to buy several varieties, but after a season or two, they resigned. Could be my mismanagement (never!!); could be many factors. I just don't have the time to try again, so will have to buy them in season at farmers mkts or co-op..

All those efforts of growers to develop blueberries requiring less winter chill may be moot now, with the effects of global warming crashing down on us.

HB

HB