Old 11-10-2014, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default Fruit tree madness

On Friday, October 10, 2014 8:00:47 AM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 10/9/2014 10:06 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:

On 10/10/2014 11:45 AM, David E. Ross wrote:

I am very concerned about my 'Santa Barbara' peach tree. It requires

about 300 hours of winter chill (hours of temperatures at or below 45F

from the beginning of November to the end of March). Living somewhat

inland with the Santa Monica Mountains between me and Malibu, the

average winter chill in my garden was been over 350 hours over the 12

years from the winter of 2001-2002 through the winter of 2012-2013. The

winter of 2013-2014, however, provided less than 130 hours. I got only

three peaches this year, and the tree was quite late in leafing out.

Many years ago, I heard of someone who was trying to grow somethign in

an area where it supposedly wouldn't grow because it didn't get enough

winter chilling. The solution for that gardener was to fill large

plastic ice cream tubs with water once frozen to turn the ice outonto

the roots.

I can't for the life of me now remember who the story involved, where

they lived or what they were trying to grow but the memory of the

routine has stuck with me. Sounds labour intensive to me and I have no

idea if it would work of not. I'd have thought the chill would have

been needed around the foliage area, but who knows. Anyone?

I wanted to grow peonies after seeing them at Longwood Garden

(Pennsylvania) and Winterthur (Delaware). A local nursery told me that

the necessary chill has to be applied to the branches and growth buds.

He suggested a wire mesh cylinder about 2 feet wider and taller than the

shrub. I should place the cylinder over the shrub at the end of October

and keep it filled with ice cubes until I remove it in March. n

Apparently, winter chill has to be felt by the entire plant, not merely

the roots.

So I have citrus, rosemary, eugenia, camellias, bearded iris, and other

plants that tolerate my mild-winter climate. No, I cannot grow Dutch

tulips; but lady tulips (Tulipa clausiana) have naturalized in my

garden. I also have various narcissus, freesias, lilies of the Nile,

and grape hyacinths (Muscari).

I have not seen snow in my area in over 15 years. In the 41 years I

have lived in my current house, I saw snow here only three times. When

we did get it, it all melted after only an hour or two. I do get more

winter chill than Hypatia Nachshon or Higgs Boson although they are

within 40 miles of where I live, but killing frosts are extremely rare

even in my area.

Born, raised, and married in the city of Los Angeles and now living a

5-minute walk outside of Los Angeles County, I did not see snow fall out

of the sky until I was 34 years old, on a business trip to Philadelphia.

David, that sounds like a whole ****load of ice cubes! Did't it make you a big electricity bill? Straight question.

I had the "advantage" of growing up in NE Pennsylvania where we most certainly had snow! As kids, we bellyflopped on our sleds on the street right in front of the house.

Then at university in Chicago, let me tell you about winter!!! I worked part time at the Faculty Club. I'd wash my hair in the morning, walk to work, and arrive with a head full of icicles. Thought nothing of it at the time...

Ah, Memory Lane!

HB