Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Uplawski Michael Uplawski is offline

Default trees and brushes which resist chemicals

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 13:24:36 +0100, Spider wrote:
On 11/10/2014 12:11, Michael Uplawski wrote:

However, my advice would be to look at the hedgerows which surround
this farm, see what is doing well, and plant those shrubs/trees in
sufficient numbers that something is bound to survive.

An interesting suggestion. I will take a look and compare to the other
hedges in the neighbourhood.

For a dense
hedge, it is often advised to plant two staggered rows of the chosen
plant(s). If you have space, you may find planting three staggered rows
will give you a denser hedge sooner, creating a wider buffer zone.

There will be two rows initially, with an overall depth of about five to
six meters, that I like to “fill up”, subsequently. My wife prefers to
leave a path in the middle but I would rather let those hedges live
their life and give up the extra space.

Since 'your' farmer is using noxious chemicals, I assume he's not
keeping cattle or other livestock(?).

Right.

so you could try Yew (Taxus
baccata) nearest his land. (Yew is poisonous, so you ought not to use it
near livestock).

I will probably exclude Yew, as there may be chickens in the near
future, alternating in different “parks” (cannot find an English
equivalent for the free space outside the coop).

Also try Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna) and Blackthorn

We already have some hawthorn-trees and even a smaller exemplary
close to the “death-zone”. Blackthorn is frequent in our region. I will
ask for both when I buy new plants.

I'm sure if you contact a good hedging nursery, they will be able to
tell you what will withstand poisons better than most, as well as what
will do well in your area.

Yes I will do that and thanks for naming the species above.

Michael

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]