Old 13-10-2014, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Shredder Recommendations

Go along with everything Nick says, especially the limit on dimensions of
stuff you put in considering the OP's question.

We shred a lot of stuff and even though we only have a small garden, 120 x
25, we 'scrounge' our neighbours stuff to 'save him a trip to the dump' :-)

Mike

watch this space

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message ...

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
On 13/10/2014 09:41, Another John wrote:
In article ,
"Peter & Jeanne" wrote:

We are looking for a good shredder which would deal with all sorts of
garden
"rubbish" - i.e. tree prunings up to 2 or 3" diameter as well as softer
stuff. At the moment everything goes in the council's compost bin but I
feel
we could make more use of the material if shredded.

Hubby thinks electric wouldn't be man enough so we are looking at
petrol/diesel but if we go down this route, it would need to be
self-start.

Anybody got any recommendations?

No recommendations, except to say: "hubby" is absolutely right! I've had
a couple of electric shredders (current one is Bosch, so not rubbish),
and they're useless: noisy, slow, noisy-slow, and slow slow slow! I
never use mine now, and would sell it, if I had the brass-necked cheek
to palm it off on someone!

BTW: the group will be wanting details of how much, and what sort of,
garden you have, in order to assess the size of machine you need.

I switched form electric to petrol, but it kept jamming, no matter what
tricks I tried. So I am now using a Bosch electric, which is certainly
much quieter and rarely jams. I have just spent the last 1 1/2 hrs.
shredding 2 large "Butterfly bushes, no problems.

The blade type are much noisier than the 'cog' type. When this
has come up before, the consensus is that by far the best is/was
the Bosch 2200 quiet (electric) shredder. It doesn't handle
very leafy or fleshy material, and its limit is 1" of hard wood
or 1.5" of softer material. It's also fairly compact. I have
one, and it is excellent.

To shred larger material, or very large quantities, one needs
a proper horticultural model. The cheap machines that claim to
do the job almost invariably have a lot of problems, but the
ones that don't are both very expensive and usually very large.
But that is all second-hand information.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.