Old 17-10-2014, 06:23 PM
houser85 houser85 is offline
Registered User

Default Lawn Questions & Advice

Hi all,

I realise the need for details so I'll try to cover things but if I've missed anything just let me know. I'm a fairly methodical person so I'm happy to be as precise with measurements etc as possible and would appreciate links to proper technical / scientific information rather than the "10 things you need to have a good lawn" click-bait articles that Google turns up.

I've recently bought a house and have started trying to take care of the lawn. Needless to say, as a complete amateur, I'm having trouble. I'd love some help and advice please.

Rough history:
01-June-2014 the turf was laid
Sadly I don't know the type of grass that was laid.
Watered it consistently each day for a month or so
First cut it roughly 15-July-2014
Since then I have cut roughly fortnightly and watered either twice weekly or once if it has rained. I try not to soak the ground too much.
I always cut my grass at the highest setting which is 6cm.
20-Sept-2014 I fed my grass with 'Evergreen Complete 4-in-1'. I fear it's not the most suitable feed and may only serve to make the blades grow thick and green to give a good impression, but may not contain the nutrients my grass needs. I found it very hard to find anything better online. Its nearly all moss killer + lawn feed.

I have notice two problems:
1) Some areas at brown. Not brown blades of grass, it looks more like roots? I'm guessing maybe the grass got too long and even on the highest setting, I took off more than 1/3rd of the blades. Is this the case or could there be something else wrong? I've attached a pic of one of the areas. How can this be remedied?

2) I have lawn rust in certain areas - what can be done?

It's been an unusually warm September here in Bristol, UK, but I'm sure thats coming to an end soon. I bought an autumn/winter lawn feed, but not sure if it contains Potassium or Potash - I hear this is the right stuff to use at this time of year? Well again, I struggled to find any online. it all seems to be generic crap targetted at idiots who don't want to understand the problem.

Other questions:
Should I get a soil testing kit?
I usually just aim for 20 mins or so.
Are there any good guides that cover the subject? I'd love a really technical explanation of grass, how it grows, what it needs etc.

Thanks for any help you can give me. If I've broken any forum rules or etiquette, point me in the right direction and I'll try again.

houser85
Attached Thumbnails
Lawn Questions & Advice-img_7387_small.jpg   Lawn Questions & Advice-img_7393_small.jpg   Lawn Questions & Advice-img_7394_small.jpg   Lawn Questions & Advice-img_7395_small.jpg   Lawn Questions & Advice-img_7396_small.jpg