Old 26-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Jonathan Ball

Default Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease

Lotus wrote:
"Jim Webster" wrote in message ...

[..]

Lotus wrote in message

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Lotus wrote in message

'2.8 Dairy herds were far more affected by BSE than beef herds.

yes, because Dairy herds are far more likely to get MBM in their
rations,.

That too, as well as more manganese.

no because beef herds will get mineralised blocks or similar which dairy
cattle will never normally be offered.

But beef herds use salt licks at will. Added to feed, the animal
has no choice but to ingest it.

you haven't the faintest idea what a mineralised block is have you.

--and this is where jim falls apart--

What in MBM is a better match with BSE, jim?

we haven't even starting discussing that.

No wonder, as you keep on evading it.

First we had to get you to
find out what was the difference between a lick and a block.

There is no difference. A mineral/salt lick and a mineralised block
are, for all intents and purposes, the same thing.

That's not the same off-key tune you were singing just
two days ago:

Someone was thoughtful enough to find a supplier of
mineralised supplementary feed licks for cattle
http://www.ccfarmers.co.uk/feed.asp , but that's
still a lick. I see Dry Cow Feed Blocks on the same
page

You didn't know then that a "lick" and a "block" were,
"for all intents and purposes, the same thing".

You introduced mineralised FEED block when you realised that.

Michael said "There are licks AND feed blocks. Both weigh about
fifty pounds. The feed blocks must be protected from the weather
or they will crumble and become inedible. The licks are solid enough
to be either simply dropped in the pasture or put in a salt block holder",
but showed us a link to a mineral lick/block containing grain products.
http://www.martindalefeed.com/Products/BLOCKS/3307.htm

I asked whether the feed block Michael had described were also
used in the UK. Now we know that supplementary feed blocks
which contain minerals are available, but I have yet to see them
referred to as 'mineralised feed blocks'.

Then you
asked the question what is MBM, so let us hear your answer to that.

No I didn't, I asked you in response to your "MBM has a better match"
(with incidence of BSE), "What in MBM exactly?", NOT what IS MBM.

You misread it then, (ironically, whilst saying I had reading problems),
so I corrected you then, which means that now you are either lying or
demented.