Old 22-10-2014, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
elfa45 elfa45 is offline

Default Flower ID needed...

In article , David E. Ross says...

On 10/21/2014 3:22 PM, elfa45 wrote:
http://postimg.org/gallery/ozu41uk8/d73e8198/

I saw this on my walk today and love the color of the flower. Included is a pic
of what look like seeds.

Can anyone ID this flower? Are the seed-like marble sized 'things' seeds? Can
I plant them?

I'd Google Image search it but I have no idea of what to call it. Bulb? What?

Any help appreciated

thanks

Canna, a perennial.

I don't know about propagating them from seed. They might not bloom the
same color. Flowers come in white, yellow, gold, orange, red, and
combinations of those. Leaves might be green or variegated with red or
yellow.

I would strongly recommend buying plants from a nursery, but only when
they are in bloom. Otherwise, you will not really know what flower
color they will have.

Cannas do okay in temperate climates where the soil does not freeze.
They do best in climates with hot summers and mild winters. They
require full sun, regular irrigation, and rich loose soil.

Actually, I am not fond of cannas because I don't think they are
attractive when not in bloom.

Thanks for the quick reply, David. I live in Marin County CA...just north of
San Francisco. Until recently, we were in the 90s...only recently dropping down
into the 70s like today.

Did a Google Image search for them and the pics refer to them as Canna Lilies.

For years my main garden flower was the rose but this last year it's been
bearded & dutch iris. Getting ready to plant more/different bulbs for Spring
and I thought I could just stick these in the ground for more color.

thanks again

elfa45