Old 22-10-2014, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default oh i've missed this

Steve Peek wrote:
On Monday, October 20, 2014 12:14:00 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

My garlic has been in the ground about 3 weeks , I have around a
hundred

plants up now . Average first frost is a couple of weeks from now
... but

could happen tomorrow night . I'm eager , this is the first time
I've grown

garlic .

i've planted garlic in August and it's done

fine here, but it is a garlic that has been in

this area for at least 80 years. this is a

little late for me but i wanted to give my

hand as long as possible a chance to heal up

since my last reinjury before testing it

again. a little sore today, but nothing too

bad.

at least now i have gotten most of the

random garlic from the many places i had it

around the property before. it was going to

take over... only a few small backup patches

left.

My hands and shoulders are achy today , but that's from swinging a

9 pound splitting maul ... over 3 cords and still cuttin' .

when i lived up north they called it making

wood.

songbird

Yep, and that old adage about your firewood warming you twice is very
real.

And the reason I've been holding off a little until it cools off some .
90° and 90% aren't real conducive to swingin' 9 pounds of maul and dragging
100 lb rounds out of the woods . Add in the ticks and chiggers and it's way
less than pleasant to cut wood in summer here . But now I have a basic stock
pile , I can do most of my "makin' wood" in the winter . If this works out
right I'll be using what I've already got cut this winter while cutting for
next .
I drug a lawn tractor home yesterday old JD model 317 that's going to
make a lot of things easier , once I get it running ... but for 25 bucks I
couldn't pass it up . I figger it'll be around 3-400 in parts to get it back
in top shape , but it'll be equal to or better than units that sell new for
a couple of thousand dollars .
--
Snag