Old 22-10-2014, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default What ate my shamrock (oxalis)?

On 10/22/2014 3:00 PM, Patty Winter wrote:
In article ,
Frank wrote:

[snip]

Dirt around pot makes me think squirrels.

Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear. The plant HAD been on the deck, but
I moved it atop a garden toolbox to minimize the chance of it
being attacked again. In the process, I took it out of its external
pot. The dirt you see is just the lower part of the roots that had
grown through the bottom of the internal part.

Nonetheless, squirrels are still suspects. Do you know whether
they eat oxalis?

Patty

I was curious and had googled and found this:

http://www.whatdosquirrelseat.info/

Maybe not specific but squirrels eat vegetation while raccoons are more
omnivore. I have trouble with both.

Deer are my biggest problem and when they have a tough time finding the
stuff they like they eat my ivy and even evergreens. Your critters may
be hard up for food.