Old 23-10-2014, 06:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Patty Winter[_2_] Patty Winter[_2_] is offline

Default What ate my shamrock (oxalis)?

In article ,
Frank wrote:

I was curious and had googled and found this:

http://www.whatdosquirrelseat.info/

Hmmm, thanks, I guess that rules out squirrels!

"It might make sense for squirrels to eat leaves, but they actually
can not digest cellulose. Cellulose is the material in the cell walls
of plants, which means greenery of any sort is essentially useless
to squirrels."

I guess we're back to the snail theory, although as I mentioned in
my followup to Nellie's posting, I don't see how they could have
gotten up to the leaves without breaking the stalks. Oxalis doesn't
exactly have robust stalks.

Patty