Old 23-10-2014, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Patty Winter[_2_] Patty Winter[_2_] is offline

Default What ate my shamrock (oxalis)?

In article ,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Do you have earwigs in your area? They feed at night and mainly
stick to seedlings, leaves, and flowers (when they are feeding on
plants).

We do, although I don't recall ever seeing them up on the deck, just
down on the ground. That occurred to me, but how much could a single
earwig eat in a day or two? Seems like there would have had to be a
whole bunch of them to eat all those leaves so quickly, even if they
had found their way up to the deck.

I've also observed gold finches and house finches nibbling greens at
various times. They tend to hit one plant over and over, in my
experience. I've had them nibble on various herbs, lettuce, and
broccoli tops.

Interesting. We do have house finches (or some type of finches) around
here. A plant sitting behind a railing on a deck doesn't seem like the
likeliest target for a bird, but who knows...

Patty