Old 27-10-2014, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default Mulch over needles?

On Saturday, October 25, 2014 6:10:06 PM UTC-7, songbird wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
This is a huge PITA, so I wonder if I can just apply small nugget mulch right on top of needles. Would presence of needles under mulch interfere with function of mulch: to
help conserve water in our drought, as well as aesthetics.

Tree supposedly originated in OZ. Hope somebody has an educated opinion on whether it's safe to mulch over needles.

mulch will break down less if it is kept dry,
the needles under the nuggets will rot before
the nuggets. so ... seems ok to me.

is fire a hazard? might not be a good idea
to build up a pile of burnables too close to
valuable structures or plants...

songbird

Thanks, Songie - not sure I got it. My q. was an attempt to avoid the noxious job of always clearing out needles before mulching, but putting mulch on top of needles.
Any downside?

Appreciate caution fire hazard. No valuable plants/structures would be close.

HB