Old 27-10-2014, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default Mulch over needles?

On Monday, October 27, 2014 11:14:11 AM UTC-7, Bob F wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
The street where I have lived for [censored] years is afflicted with
horrible trees;

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7497036_casuarina-trees.html

If it isn't the effing needles, it's the effing sharp seeds or the
effing sap on parked cars.

The City won't take out "healthy" trees. Whoever was the "forester"
that put them in, could be 100 years? (I wasn't there g) didn't
know much about species.

(Ex: He put in a variety of Ficus that has GIANT above-ground roots
that wreck sidewalks and trip people.

ID'd as Indian Laurel Fig, Ficus nitida
Scientific Name: Ficus retusa ssp. nitida (Th.) Miq.
Synonym: Ficus microcarpa var. nitida)

Back to subject: Those effing needles obscure plantings and clutter
up my arrangements.
They do not compost well, or at all, so I gave up and just rake them
out and put in
yard waste bin..

This is a huge PITA, so I wonder if I can just apply small nugget
mulch right on top of needles. Would presence of needles under mulch
interfere with function of mulch: to help conserve water in our
drought, as well as aesthetics.

Tree supposedly originated in OZ. Hope somebody has an educated
opinion on whether it's safe to mulch over needles.

I had an opoportunity once to receive a pickup load of pine needles. I jumped at
the opportunity, and they make great long lasting mulch, that does an excellent
job of keeping weeds down. I imagine yours would do similarly.

Interesting! Trying to connect this in my mind with my experience in composting.
Needles never DID compost. Is this good or bad for my objective of mulching over needles? Sorry for sounding opaque g

HB
HB