Old 28-10-2014, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mushroom mushroom...

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 09:52:15 +0000, Tom Gardner wrote:

On 28/10/14 08:48, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Blewitts are ones I have always been chary of, because there are some
similar-looking fungi that are definitely poisonous.

Even they are mildly haemolytic when raw - hence the requirement to cook
them.

But they are very delicious. I agree though, I get a second opinion for
blewitts. Haven't seen any yet this year, although there was a huge
crop on the leaf pile last year.

We eat plenty that need to be cooked, Boletus erythropus is one of the
best boletes, poisonous uncooked. It also turns blue rapidly, which puts
some people off.

One day, probably when the timing of my life's end is known, I'm going
to pluck up enough courage to find and eat an amanita caesarea.
Let's hope I can still taste and smell it.

The problem there is that there are plenty of Amanita muscaria that don't
present warts, so you could make yourself see God just before going to
meet her/him personally!

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy