Old 30-10-2014, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Tomatoes with sprouting seeds inside.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 21:34:46 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:16:53 PM UTC-6, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 17:26:30 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote:

In the seven decades that I've been eating tomatoes, this is the first time that I have seen so many store bought tomatoes with sprouting seeds inside them.

What gives? Do these new varieties bred to resist rough handling with their tougher inner walls have the disadvantage of sprouting seeds before they are consumed? Actually its quite disgusting to see these worm-like sprouts when the tomato is cut open.
======

It happens at times. No biggie unless it is happening at an alarming
rate for you with tomatoes that are otherwise just reaching their
eating peak.

AND several other things enter into this....are you buying the same
variety of tomatoes time after time and noticing this or are you
buying different sorts? Are you buying them all at the same store/farm
stand?

Boron

This has happened three or four times this summer with store bought "field tomatoes"...Canadian grown. They don't have the varietal name on the tomato. Usually they don't have an odd taste but these last ones were like eating lettuce veins and tomato combined. Not good.

If they have a product number or SKU sticker, it's worth trotting
that, at least, to the store. This really sounds like a
grower/varietal problem.

My brother gave me a raft of home-grown beefsteak type and THEY were great...beats the taste of commercial ones by far...no comparison actually. I'd grow my own but have had some on-going health problems.

Nothing quite like home grown tomatoes. Sorry you cannot "indulge."

If the weather holds above a hard frost this week as it is supposed to
here in northern NJ, then I will still be picking tomatoes in
November.

Boron