Old 31-10-2014, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Living up to its name

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

I soak the seeds for (say) 8 hours and germinate them on damp
kitchen roll under cling film. I then plant them in pots and
keep them in the conservatory (or a sunny window ledge) until
they start to climb. They they go out.

Maybe I will wait a bit longer until they are higher - perhaps 30 - 40
cm. But I'll have to germinate them in bigger pots to do that, as they
already have a decent root system at 15 cm.

My experience is that they don't mind a bit of root restriction,
and I find that 2-2.5" square pots are fine. But it is also easy
to start them in those and repot. I agree that 30-40cm is a good
height, not least because it gives them a chance against being
munched by marauding molluscs!

For such a supposedly easy plant to grow, you don't see them that much
in other gardens. Maybe they aren't quite so reliable in a cool spring,
and that puts people off.

Quite probably. But they can be planted late, too. It seems to be
the cumulative amount of warmth they need, and they don't care much
how fast it is delivered!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.