Old 31-10-2014, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
alien from planet x alien from planet x is offline

Default Tomatoes with sprouting seeds inside.

wrote:
In the seven decades that I've been eating tomatoes, this is the first time that I have seen so many store bought tomatoes with sprouting seeds inside them.
What gives? Do these new varieties bred to resist rough handling with their tougher inner walls have the disadvantage of sprouting seeds before they are consumed? Actually its quite disgusting to see these worm-like sprouts when the tomato is cut open.
======

Several different times last year when I bought tomatoes at
the grocer the seeds were black. It didn't seem a problem
when I ate the tomato at once. When I used some, then
wrapped it in plastic, put it in the fridge for later is when
problems started. A few hours later when the tomato was
removed from the fridge, it had a clear slime on it that was
so disgusting it had to be thrown away.

I haven't seen seeds sprout inside a tomato, yet.

--
Islam is the rabies of religion