Old 01-11-2014, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Mulch over needles?

David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Thanks, Songie - not sure I got it. My q. was an attempt
to avoid the noxious job of always clearing out needles before
mulching, but putting mulch on top of needles.
Any downside?

no, mulch is mulch. mice might like it, nice
shingled roof and soft needles to nest in.

Not always. Some plants exhibit allelopathy. Casuarina is a suspect. Have
you ever noticed that left alone almost nothing grows under a grove of them?

yes, but in this particular case we've already
established that there are no valuable plants near
these trees/needles.

songbird