Old 02-11-2014, 06:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bob Hobden[_5_] Bob Hobden[_5_] is offline

Default OT. My ISP is giving up on Usenet

"Mad Cow" wrote

Bob Hobden writes
"BarbaraH" wrote

After serious thinking Bob Hobden wrote :
My ISP (BT) is to give up giving us access to Usenet newsgroups from
3rd
December so for now it looks like I won't be around here much longer
unless I find a cheap alternative binaries news server.
Sign of the times?

Try Terranews, there's a small one off payment, then it's free

http://www.teranews.com/

After a lot of research I have gone down the route you suggested Barbara,
one off payment and as you will see I'm using Teranews. I shall continue
use news.individual.net as my text only Ng server as they are superb at
cutting out rubbish.

There isn't the rubbish there used to be. Even spammers hardly bother
with Usenet now!

There aren't the people on Usenet these days. Few youngsters and recent
computer converts even know of Usenet let alone Newsgroups and as for how
you get here it's impossible for them as they use Web based mail and don't
use an email program/newsreader. We had to when we started.
That and Microsoft's Windows Live Mail that most have already on their PCs
doesn't treat Newsgroups properly, and they won't fix it, so you have to use
add-on programs to get it to work in accordance with convention.
It's easier for them to use Twitter or Facebook, not that I think they are a
substitute.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.