Old 03-11-2014, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Ewww !

Derald wrote:
Man, seems to me that the least y'all could do is keep it "up
there" where it belongs!

believe me, if i had a way of keeping it further
north i'd do that as long as i could. i really like
having an extended season and it's also nice to not
have to heat the house much at all.

Had 42°(F) on the front porch Sunday morning
(2 Nov) at around 5:20 and it did get down to the predicted 40 for a few
minutes around 7-ish; expecting mid-30's Monday AM. Looking at
overnight lows in the 60's and daytimes around 80 by mid-week, though.

we may see 60F again sometime in the next few weeks, but
the trend is definitely towards winter.

Typical west-central FL autumn. Brought one Thai basil inside, just in
case, but it seems to have been unnecessary: Those that remained outside
show no ill effects. Okra, eggplant, basil , tomatoes, even the green
beans seem to be OK. The NOAA point forecast for this locale has been
remarkably accurate for the past three or four years so I may cover the
tomatoes and the beans tonight—both are just beginning to bloom well—but
the rest of that stuff is on its own. The okra's and eggplant's days
definitely are numbered and the greens that eventually will cover the
okra bed already are 8-10" tall. The onion transplants in the eggplant
container are coming along and ought to be ready to set out "on
schedule" in December. When _they_ go, that container gets carrots.

ah, thanks for reminding me, i should check the
small onions...

i'm surprised your okra and eggplant would give up
already if the temperatures are holding up?

Enough of this: I'm inside and warm from the wood fire, the breakfast
boiled peanuts and Samuel Adams both nearly are warm enough and there's
a F1 race today. How much better can it get?

songbird