Old 04-11-2014, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Ewww !

On 11/3/2014 11:07 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
songbird wrote:

19F forecast here for tonight - it will be the coldest
night forecast for the week. was cold last night too.
can't complain too much, it's been really nice weather
the past month or so for the most part.

Good Grief Bird! I would freeze to death before the forecast was over.
Supposed to be 45F here tomorrow morning, I'm not going outside until it
warms up. I told my wife I wanted to move to Belize but no, she had to
be close to the grands and great grands. Maybe she will move with me to
Costa Rica. Naw, it's all those babies that keep us here.

we'll get used to it like any other year, but today
looks pretty nice out there if i can get moving.

Just finished chopping and freezing a tray of sweet chiles, may be the
last of our season but there's lots of little ones on the plants still.

if you get plenty of sunshine and not too much
cold they may keep on going. ours were flowering
heavily and then the frosts shut them down. i
miss the red peppers the most. we were able to
rescue most of the larger ones before the cold
damaged them, the next day the plants were a
wilted pile. now everything except turnips and
rutabagas are out of the gardens.

songbird

That's one of the things I enjoyed about living in Louisiana, we're heat
zone 8b here and there it was 9b. Our last frost date was February 18
most years. Spring garden lasted most of the year and a very short
winter season. Just long enough to grow a good mess of greens, cabbage,
broccoli, and cauliflower.

Temperature out today is mid-sixties with heavy rains expected this
evening. Our major problem is not enough rain at the right time.

Got to get out there and pick a bucket of sweet chiles before the rain
comes. Also need to empty the compost barrel, smells like sweet soil so
must be ready.

George