Old 05-11-2014, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Geraniums winter storage

On 05/11/2014 09:39, Paul Luton wrote:
On 04/11/2014 19:02, stuart noble wrote:
On 04/11/2014 18:18, FrankB wrote:
I've heard various conflicting advice for this.

What I'd like to know is whether they can be stored lais sideways in a
box
of barely damp soil, in a dark cold, but frost-free garage as eg one
stores
tunerous begonias? Would they need to be cut back hard first before
storage?

Only if they are particularly leggy. You can keep them growing and
flowering indoors on a windowledge (or last year out of doors). I still
have some in flower outside at the moment but tonights frost well might
do for them. They don't like being frozen or cold damp wet roots.

I think I've read it all! My understanding is that they can stand cold
but not cold AND wet. Assuming your garage is unheated, there should be
enough moisture around to prevent them drying out completely. Very
interesting discussion/argument on Gardenweb about whether they need
moisture at all in winter. Putting them on top of the wardrobe wrapped
in newspaper might have worked in the old days but that was before
central heating. Last year I cut mine back to 4" and put them in a cold
frame. The vast majority survived

In an unheated frost free place they can keep for the winter months with
no soil on the roots and go dormant. The fat stems hold a fair amount of
water and it is in their nature to go dormant for winter.

Last winter I had a few surviving in pots outdoors and totally
unprotected. Not a typical winter - if there is such a thing.

Last year was peculiar I had some still in flower at Xmas!
Almost all survived the winter.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown