Old 06-11-2014, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening

Default Newsgroup providers

In article ,
soup wrote:
On 06/11/2014 08:54, Nick Maclaren wrote:

soup wrote:
Thirty three years ago.

Not just then.

It was you that said you couldn't find archives that went back beyond 1981.

Sigh. Despite Wikipedia, Usenet did not arise like Athena, but was
based on existing mailing lists. Naturally, there would be no Usenet
archives as such before that, but there might be ones of those mailing
lists.

However, that was NOT the context of my posting that you responded to,
which was that I and others had failed to persuade the relevant
libraries and other organisations that computing documentation and
discussions were of any consequence. And THAT started in the 1970s,
with my most recent failure here about a decade ago - even now, the
criteria for archiving such material are much stricter than for some
other, similar material.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.