Old 08-11-2014, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
~misfit~[_4_] ~misfit~[_4_] is offline

Default What ate my shamrock (oxalis)?

Once upon a time on usenet Patty Winter wrote:
In article ,
Nellie wrote:

I'm in Contra Costa Co and we have lots of critters.

Hello to CoCo!

None of them eat
plants, tomatoes, yes, plants, no.

Do you have deer? They eat any plant they can find, don't they? Mind
you, that isn't what happened to my plant; I'm just curious about
your situation.

However, I have had snails take down a plant overnight. This is what
I suspect is the case here.

I had snails take down a basil plant in a couple of days once. All the
way down to the dirt! Do you think they might like oxalis leaves, but
not the stalks? Also, could the stalks hold the weight of a snail
without breaking? That's what mystifies me--unless it was a horde of
very young snails. :-)

I wish snails ate oxalis as it's a noxious weed here in New Zealand and
spreads very quickly. I see a lot of snails around at night and they eat
most everything I don't want them to eat. However all of the oxalis is
healthy and untouched. :-/
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."