Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek[_2_] Steve Peek[_2_] is offline

Default Beware of Planted Gifts

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:39:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
A neighbor of mine had some lettuce, cabbage and broccoli started and didn't want to bother with them this fall/winter so she asked if I wanted them.. Sure I said. It had been about a month when I noticed rows of dirt all over one of the pots. Further investigation reveals bugs and one of my loaded and flowering tomato plants is wilting. I got her pots out of the green house and started looking online to see what the bugs were. Any guesses? They were termites. Fortunately I had sprayed the wafer board walls, window sills and everything else with bleach. So far the other plants are ok. I sure didn't expect anything like that let alone termites.
MJ

Never spray bleach! It will destroy the nails or screws that hold the waferboard on.