Old 09-11-2014, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Beware of Planted Gifts

On 11/8/2014 9:39 AM, wrote:
A neighbor of mine had some lettuce, cabbage and broccoli started and didn't want to bother with them this fall/winter

so she asked if I wanted them. Sure I said. It had been about a month
when I noticed rows of dirt all over one of the pots.

Further investigation reveals bugs and one of my loaded and flowering
tomato plants is wilting.

I got her pots out of the green house and started looking online to
see what the bugs were. Any guesses? They were termites.

Fortunately I had sprayed the wafer board walls, window sills and
everything else with bleach. So far the other plants are ok.

I sure didn't expect anything like that let alone termites.
MJ

Having seen termites near the house and knowing that neighbors had
treated for them I decided to get a contract with Terminex and treat my
house for peace of mind. They injected Thermidor around the house and
inspect annually.

Damned if a colony did not establish itself in a wood pile on my
concrete patio about 5 feet from the house. Terminex came out and
sprayed the bottom of the pile but apparently termites were just in a
couple of pieces of rotted wet wood near the top of the pile.

This sounds like a similar situation. Nothing to panic over but
something you should not neglect.