Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Oz

Default The DEFRA [Uk] report into "GM contamination"

Plantigens writes

"Oz"
There are no species x-breeding with maize in europe.

It's the potential of food Maize x-breeding with Molecular Maize that I'm
addressing.

Why? Who cares?

{ & that being said, remember that 'canola', a GM crop, is the second
healthiest vegetable oil for human consumption }

Canola is NOT a GM crop per se. I grow lots and NONE of it is GM.

The original Canola was genetically engineered to enable a poisonous plant
[rape] to produce an edible oil [ CAN adian OIL ] & what a success it was.

No it wasn't. It was bred in the conventional way, by selection.
Low glucosinolates came, I believe, from the closely related turnip
rapes.

Future regulations need to and should recognise the vastly reduced
contamination potential of 'self pollinators', 'non-pollinators' and
non-food plants, and legislate accordingly for them.

********. It's the effect on wild relatives that counts.

Sorry Oz, you haven't grabbed the central contamination issue. When you get
Molecular Maize with a contraceptive in it you won't want any risk of cross
contamination with your corn flakes. The contamination risks are not with
what we already have, but with what we will have, and will need. I really
recommend that you read the http://www.molecularfarming.com site, even if
you don't sign up to the free database.

I have said before that growing pharmaceuticals in food species plants
is stupid. Grow them in animals, micro-organisms or a non-food plant
with no local wild relatives (second best).

Molecular Farming, especially Medical Molecular Farming, with it's

potential
to save millions of lives, must not be allowed to be lost to hysteria.

Maybe, but get real.

I'm as real as it gets. I see the future. I see farmers making really good
money producing Molecular crops in areas which can grow them, but which now
don't. There are over 700 transgenic recombinant protein products now in
development [ from the Medicago.com site ]

If you are growing them in food plants you are an idiot.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.