Old 10-11-2014, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Black runner beans

In article ,
David Rance wrote:
On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 22:20:10 Bigal wrote:

Normally runners are grown for the green pod, and with my sense of
taste, they would have to have vastly different tastes for me to tell.
It was pure luck that I discovered them. There weren't any in the ones
I saved for next years seed. It was just having so many more growing
than I needed and could get rid of, that I decided to let them grow on
for the beans. I wasn't even sure how edible they would be... I have
enough to see if they lose their colour when boiled, and as for taste, I
think I will try them raw.

Not a good idea as they are poisonous until cooked. Nick M. has written
about this several times here.

Yes. You probably won't come to much harm by eating ONE raw,
but people have killed themselves by eating undercooked, ripe
Phaseolus beans. Exactly when the toxin develops, I don't know,
but it is supposed to be mostly in the skins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaseolus_vulgaris

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.