Old 10-11-2014, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
~misfit~[_4_] ~misfit~[_4_] is offline

Default What to do with Osage oranges?

Once upon a time on usenet Steve Peek wrote:
On Sunday, November 9, 2014 3:47:41 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
I have access to a couple dozen Osage Oranges if I want them. But,
I can't figure out what to do with them. Help!

They are supposed to make wonderful bug repellants.

Urban myth....

"The belief about the use of hedge apples for insect control is widespread
and persistent. it is claimed that placing hedge apples around the
foundation or inside the basement will repel or control insects. A few years
ago, Iowa State University toxicologists extracted compounds from hedge
apples. When concentrated, these compounds were found to repel insects.

Scientists also found that natural concentrations of these compounds in the
fruit were too low to be an effective repellent. So, don't be fooled into
spending much to use hedge apples as an insect repellent."

From http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest...hedgeapple.htm
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."