Old 12-11-2014, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery houseplant: please ID

On 12/11/2014 01:49, ] wrote:
Dear All,
Can anyone identify this houseplant for me? It has just flowered for
the first time. Here are 5 pics of varying quality taken from
different angles.

http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/mystery_plant1.jpg

http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/mystery_plant2.jpg

http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/mystery_plant3.jpg

http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/mystery_plant4.jpg

http://www.mklab.rhul.ac.uk/~tom/mystery_plant5.jpg

Many thanks
Tom Crane

The plant is Eucharis amazonica or Eucharis x grandiflora. See here for
further info:
http://pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswik...x.php/Eucharis

You should find that it has a rather strange scent, which some like and
some don't. I have grown this plant for many years, and it seems to
flower when it wants to, sometimes more than once a year, sometimes
missing a year or two. It will slowly bulk up, and after a few years you
will have several bulbs to give away.

--

Jeff