Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david david is offline

Default Couch Grass what should I cover it with?

On 12/11/2014 19:55, Emery Davis wrote:
On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 19:32:22 +0000, Janet wrote:

In article ,
lid says...

Carpet is also better as it allows water through

Isn't that a bad thing if you are trying to kill couch grass?

Doesn't matter. Lack of light kills plants.

Actually it's positive, because the trouble with closing off the soil
altogether is that the lack of water (and associated oxygenation) causes
it to become very heavy over time.

I thought that the idea of covering the couch grass was to bring the
runners to the surface so they can be gathered up without digging, not
to kill them, but it's a slow job and I also would be using Round up
even though I don't like it for many jobs. This is one place for it.
David @ a damp side of Swansea Bay (I should say saturated)