Old 15-11-2014, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Uplawski Michael Uplawski is offline

Default Growing Meplars

Good afternoon all.

When I came to Normandy, I knew the German word „Mispel“ but had never
seen neither the fruit, nor the tree.
In the meantime I have passed through a process which probably makes me
fall foul of half of mankind: I love eating meplars since I learned to
cut them in half, first.

As it is also advantageous to have these trees in a hedge, I wonder if I
have a real chance to grow them from the fruit's stones (or whatever is
the right name for the seeds). In our tree nursery I was informed that
it is very difficult to grow meplars from scions, and I had not thought
to ask about the seeds. With the first frost came the first edible
fruit and for the time being I try to keep all the seeds.

As the fruits do not survive long enough in my vicinity, instead, here
is a picture of the future hedge that I am about to plant as a second,
inner rampart with some of our (nice) neighbour's smaller animals in the
foreground (256K):

http://pix.toile-libre.org/?img=1416067910.jpg

Bye,

Michael
--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]