Old 16-11-2014, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Uplawski Michael Uplawski is offline

Default Growing Medlars

Thank you for the references. “Meplar” is my own creation, as I wrote
the posting some time after having looked up the word in an
online-dictionary. The error is probably due to the closer similarity to
the German word „Mispel“.

I correct the Subject (and Darn! Sorry.).

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 09:53:25 -0000,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Fran Farmer" wrote in message
On 16/11/2014 5:00 AM, Chris Hogg wrote:

By all accounts, best eaten after 'bletting' or rotting, for a few
weeks after picking. Never tried them.

They are hard and unedibe before the frost hits the fruit and turns it
to compote. It's not the thing that you will have for dessert in a fancy
restaurant. Also, each fruit has five rather big stones. Because it is too
squashy to be pealed, you have to find another technique to eat it. In
the beginning, I was deterred by sticky fingers ... (not the record),
but an uncle has finally explained that you need to cut the fruit in
half and squeeze the ‘compote’ into your mouth... Deliverance. 8-)

Nice small tree with good flowers, but I am finding much of the fruit drops
and I don't know why, I find the taste nice but can understand why folk are
put off by the look of the thing. I believe the word Medlar comes from old
English (Saxon?) meaning Dogs arse!

You should not have mentoned that... ;-) In a way, it is a fitting
description. Ah whatever. More for me, then.

Michael

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]