Thread: Love apples.
View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 18-11-2014, 10:24 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2007
Default Love apples.

I have wondered why tomatoes used to be called love apples. The shape offers a clue, and perhaps being 'rosy'. Then the squidginess of them takes that away. But last year I bought some beef tomatoes from Lidls. They were firm and tasty , so out of curiosity I saved some seeds and this year grew two plants in my greenhouse. One plant produced beef tomatoes, but not a big crop. Most of those ended up frozen (chopped) for curries etc. The other plant produced one beef tomato with the rest of them being standard sized. I found them slow to ripen, and it was the end of the season before I got around to doing much with them. The grandchildren had the earlier ones. To me, they tasted better than any other that I have grown. They were firm, solid and meaty, and retained that for about six weeks before starting to soften. I can understand those being called love apples. The firmness wasn't quite up to that of an apple. The original tomato must have been F1, but I am saving some seeds and hoping that they will produce some again next year. I took a late cutting and wonder if I can save it through the winter. Strange how life gets more interesting as you get older.