Old 20-11-2014, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hardy !

On 11/19/2014 8:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
We've had temps as low as 8° F here ... I was out by the garden today
bringing in some firewood , and noticed the bok choi , spinach , and lettuce
all still have green leaves - as do the strawberries . Everything else is
deader'n hail , but those four really surprised me .
I've been involved in a discussion on chisel plow/cultivators in another
group - if I build something there will be more space under cultivation next
year ... buying this little yard/garden tractor is altering my life - for
the better if you ask my back ! That wood I brought in today was dragged on
a "sled" by the tractor instead of hauled in the wheelbarrow or on the
furniture dolly .

See, you're already in the "homesteader" mode Terry. When I was in my
twenties I used to farm nearly ten acres plus a full time job and run a
side business to boot.

Had cow and calf, pigs, chickens, rabbits, goats, etc. Now I live on a
6500 square foot lot with a large house on it and have three raised bed
gardens totaling 32 running foot and a lot of "stuff" planted along the
board fence. Much easier to care for, less stress on a 75-year old body,
and gives me more time to nap with the dawg and play with the great
grandkids.

It got down to about 32F the other night and then warmed up again. There
is a microclimate here in Houston, TX area, mostly caused by nearly six
million people living here. Sometimes I wish I was still on my old ten
acre place in the countryside, just for the peace and quiet.

George