Old 01-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Tim B

Default Newbie question about shade

For vegetables ... you can always pick the sunniest convenient spot, and
plant a small experimental plot this year, with some of your favorites, and
see how it goes. You might not get a tremendous yield, but chances are it
would produce something, and then you'd know what your results may be.
I've had good yield of beans and vine crops in a small shady plot hacked out
of the woods. Your Mileage My Vary. It depends on the amount of available
light coming through, the amount of ambient light, the crops you grow, the
climate zone you're in, and the weather. If you can reduce the overhead
canopy somewhat you'll get more light, as someone else already recommended.
If you want tomatoes you might invest in red plastic mulch, to reflect as
much back to the plant as possible. You can try it .... and be sure to
report back to the newsgroup in the fall.

"Cindy" wrote in message
. ..
I live in an area that is loaded with shade. I live in the city on a high
traffic road. The trees can't go. The only sunny spots are in the front,

on
the hill next to the road. Isn't there *any* way I can grow something? My
backyard, where I want to grow things, has only spotty sunlight that moves
throughout the day. There isn't a spot that has full sun, period. Are

there
any suggestions on what I can do, outside of using a community garden? The
community garden is out.

I truly hope someone has some good suggestions.

TIA!

Cindy