Old 21-11-2014, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Growing cotton

On 21/11/2014 6:19 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 11/20/2014 6:17 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
Has anyone ever grown cotton in their home garden? I've just ordered
seeds for 3 different coloured cotton so would like some growing tips
form anyone with experience. I am after the bolls as I'm a spinner and
thought it might be interesting to try to grow my own cotton so I'm
after the flowers followed by the bolls.

I had thought that feeding with 'flower and fruit' fertiliser might be
appropriate once I get them growing.

As I recall from studying cotton in elementary school more than 60 years
ago, cotton plants require a lot of water and some fertilizer. However,
the bolls are damaged if the plant gets rain as the bolls are ripening.

Thanks for that input.