Old 23-11-2014, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Couch Grass what should I cover it with?

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
On 12/11/2014 13:13, SecondFromLeft wrote:
Hi,

I have recently taken on a large allotment which has a severe case of
couch grass invasion. Could someone please tell me the best thing to
cover the area with whilst I am working on other parts of the
allotment.

If I can help it I do not want to use any weed killers. I have read
covering over is one of the better solutions.

My two thoughts of covers are a think black plastic polythene sheet
Something like : ('HEAVY DUTY BLACK POLYTHENE PLASTIC SHEETING 4M WIDE
DPM ROLLS 300MU 1200 GAUGE | eBay' (http://tinyurl.com/nr4csbh))

With option two being heavy duty garden control fabric. Something like :
('Kenley Garden Landscape Weed Control Fabric Ground Cover - Heavy Duty
100GSM | eBay' (http://tinyurl.com/lewfp78))

Does anyone have any preference over these two options or am I missing
something better on the market.

Depends on you budget. The cheapest option is to go to a carpet retailer
and ask them for a bit of rubbish carpet, then place that over. The
trouble with the black polythene, especially the thin variety is that
winds will soon wreck it.

Carpet is also better as it allows water through

I'm with the carpet option too. Some carpet retailers fit a new carpet and
take the old one away as part of the deal. They are only too thrilled to
let you have them. Works well.