Old 24-11-2014, 10:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Growing cotton

On 24/11/2014 1:54 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 11:01:18 +1100, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 22/11/2014 12:55 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 13:17:06 +1100, Fran Farmer
wrote:

Has anyone ever grown cotton in their home garden? I've just ordered
seeds for 3 different coloured cotton so would like some growing tips
form anyone with experience. I am after the bolls as I'm a spinner and
thought it might be interesting to try to grow my own cotton so I'm
after the flowers followed by the bolls.

I had thought that feeding with 'flower and fruit' fertiliser might be
appropriate once I get them growing.

A friend grew some in her home yard just this past summer and got
enough to spin a bit. You need way bigger than a backyard crop to get
serious with it, though.

Well that sounds positive. It's good to know that it is possible to
grow enough to have a play with it. Next time you talk to your friend
could you see if she has any particular cultivation tips please and
report back?

I will. Her garden is in Alabama - long, hot & humid summers. Cotton
territory.

Ah. We don't have humid here. Hot yes, but not humid as we're inland.
Is humid important for cotton do you know?

Drat, now I've got a song about Alabama running my brain and I'm darned
if I can remember who sun it or enough of the lyrics to do a google!!!!